Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Robins Song



The cool breeze blew softly through the trees creating a symphony of rustic music among the autumn leaves. All nature seemed at harmony as I relaxed in my favorite backyard chair overlooking the garden.
I opened my book, tilted my chair back and began to read in the silent warmth of the day.
The silence suddenly stopped as two squirrels chased each other along the expansive wooden fence in my backyard. They squawked, jumped, and bounced in a playful frenzy. I noticed one of the squirrels had a nut in its mouth and wasn’t in a sharing mood.
I watched them for several minutes until they finally disappeared. I opened my book again and began to re-read the same paragraph I read before all the commotion. I just finished the paragraph when I head chaos erupt in the tree above me.
Those neurotic squirrels were at it again. I once again closed my book and listened to them scolding each other as they jumped from tree branch to tree branch. They seemed to have lost all sense of direction for they kept running back and forth without purpose. They would run ten feet, stop, look around, and then run back to the same spot where their nutty war had begun.
These cute adorable little squirrels were beginning to take on a rat like appearance with their annoying antics. I just wanted to read my book in silence without all the irritating drama found in the squirrel world.
“Quiet!” I yelled.
They paid no attention to me and continued their high wire tree theatrics. When they dropped their nut five yards from my chair the real pandemonium began. They made a wild dash toward the nut and arrived at the same time. They rolled together as one with the nut somewhere in between them. They ran past my chair, up the fence, and jumped into the trees.
“Enough,” I said.
I was about to head back into the house when I noticed a robin land on a nearby tree overlooking the yard. The robin appeared to take in the squirrel’s naughty, senseless behavior and then suddenly broke out in a song.
While I watched these two creatures of God interact I noticed something quite divine. The strange behavior of the squirrel never affected the robins’ song. The Robin kept on singing through all the squirrel’s ranting’s.
As I listened to the robin sing I was presented with a new thought. No matter what’s going on in the world around her---the robin sings. The robin was created to glorify her creator with her song.

 That day the robin taught me a life lesson. No matter how irritated I get with squirrels, co-workers, my boss or relatives I was created to glorify my creator. It doesn’t matter what is going on around us we can keep a song of love in our heart just as the Robin.
 Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.” We glorify God when we keep our focus on Jesus and not our circumstances.
Today the Robin continues to sing her song in backyards all across America, She doesn’t worry about tomorrow, her song is sufficient for the day.  
 Jesus said: “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable then they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:26, 27.
 Help me Lord imitate the robin. Let me lift up my heart in song even when those in the world become super irritating. Today is a perfect day to sing.



No comments: